Par défaut

Hakkoryu jûjutsu : 1938

Inscrit
    juillet 2007
    Merci
    Remercié 0 Fois dans 0 Messages

Par défaut

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=87
    I believe you played major role in the name-change from aiki budo to aikido when you were a representative of the Kobukan Dojo to the Dai Nihon Butokukai (see side bar).

I was the Director of General Affairs of the Kobukan beginning around 1942 and I helped out Ueshiba Sensei in daily matters. “Aikido,” rather than being a specifically selected name, was the term used to refer to “Butokukai-Ryu” aiki budo within the Dai Nippon Butokukai. The headquarters of the Dai Nippon Butokukai was located in Kyoto and Butokuden centers were set up in all prefectures. Tatsuo Hisatomi from the Kodokan, and Shohei Fujinuma from kendo, were close friends of mine. The Butokukai was an independent, umbrella organization for the martial arts, and it also was in charge of martial arts in the police departments.

It was very difficult to create a new section in the Butokukai at that time. Mr. Hisatomi proposed the establishment of a new section including arts for actual fighting based on jujutsu techniques. The techniques of yawara (an alternate term for jujutsu) are comprehensive and also include the use of the ken and jo. I also made a number of suggestions and Mr. Fujinuma and Mr. Hisatomi understood my ideas. However, had I insisted on these things nothing would have been decided.

There was discussion within the Butokukai about the choice of a name for this new section. It was discussed many times in meetings of the Board of Directors, and particularly in the judo and kendo sections. We had to consider all of the different individual arts encompassed when we tried to come up with an all-inclusive name. It was decided to select an inoffensive name to avoid future friction among the different martial arts.

Mr. Hisatomi argued for his proposal energetically and explained that “aikido” would be a better name than aiki budo for this new section, because it would be better to stress the idea of “michi” or way. He proposed that the name “aikido” be used as term to designate an all-inclusive budo and I agreed with him.

In other words, the term “aikido” was a cover-all term that could include other things as well. Mr. Hisatomi’s idea was to intentionally select a name that would not be opposed by kendo or other martial arts, but rather an inoffensive, comprehensive term to group together all of the yawara schools. In the end, no one opposed this proposal.

Of course, this was certainly a big problem at the time. I can’t say anything more specific about it. Everyone should follow the path they believe in.
    ensuite :
    http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=182184
    Of course, it's noted earlier that Ueshiba's art was first officially referred to as "Aikido" in 1942 when Minoru Hirai was dispatched by the Aikikai Foundation (at that time called the Kobukai Foundation) to the Butokukai and they (the Butokukai) created an "aikido division" to encompass Ueshiba aikido, Daito-ryu, and others.
    http://www.freewebz.com/aikido/his.htm
    Dai Nihon Butoku Kai welcomed the martial art system developed by Master Hirai who called his system Aikido. There are standardized learning methods, that include seven ways of body movement (taisabaki���), kata (��) for ken and jo, and methods of randori (�è�). The principles that govern how body moves lie at the center of the system. The system was introduced as an integrated martial art in seminars organized at Butokuden (Hall of Butoku �Z�w��) of various counties.
    http://www.geocities.jp/ssaakkaannaa...o-english.html
    "Aikido" is another name of Japanese time-honoured martial art ju-jutu.
    In 1942 Japan Butoku-kai (the central group of budo since Meiji era) made "aikido division"
    besides "kendo", "judo", "kyudo (archery)" etc.
    The first responsible person was Master Hirai Minoru (-1997).

He was experienced in various schools of ju-jutu, ken-jutu (swordplay), yari-jutu (spearplay).
    He aimed a practical general all-around martial art without any distinction of arms or unarmed.
    This point tells his aikido and others apart. He thought that spontaneous yawara mind had to
    manifest on plays obediently.
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ight=butokukai
    by Takuma Hisa
    Aiki News #85 (Summer 1990)

This article was published in the November 1942 issue of Shin Budo magazine,

Practical Judo

Previously the Committee for the Promotion of Martial Arts has considered the questions of what constitutes a martial art, and what are some of the fundamental strategies to promote the martial arts, while the Dai Nihon Butokukai [a government-backed organization established in the early 1900s which attempted to regulate Japanese martial arts] has from its establishment continued a heated argument on which martial arts events it should support. But the issue of how some martial arts were categorized as such, and others as sports is still an important, serious, and interesting issue. Since the new Butokukai emphasizes a policy of the “practicality” of martial arts, I assume that their selection criteria are based on whether an art is practical or not.

Setting other issues aside, I would like to discuss Judo’s acceptance as a martial art from the point of view of practicality.

Jujutsu can trace its origins back to the ancient age of the kami (deities) and time immemorial as a unique Japanese martial art. These martial arts were developed to provide grappling techniques for the samurai especially during the turbulent ages when they were anxious to learn such techniques. If modern Judo had kept to this original idea, there would now be no argument over whether Judo should be considered to be a practical martial art. It is regrettable that, due to the influence of physical education with its emphasis on physical strength, contemporary Judo has changed so dramatically from the jujutsu of those days.

I do recognize and respect Professor Kano who collected together individual traditional schools of practical jujutsu which were about to become extinct and preserved and popularized jujutsu as a physical, moral and educational martial art and thus achieved the present prosperity of Judo. However, I do not think that Judo as it is now can be recognized as a practical martial art unless it revives the original practical elements which are again needed in the present age. I hope that the leaders of the Kodokan and Butokukai recognize this argument and that they pay serious attention to and study the practical elements of Judo which have disappeared, such as wrist locks and strikes with the fist at vital points (atemi), in order to transform Judo into a practical martial art in both fact and name.

Fortunately, some enthusiasts still practice the individual schools of traditional jujutsu such as Takeuchi-ryu, Shibukawa-ryu, Sekiguchi-ryu, Tenjin Shin’yo-ryu, Kito-ryu, etc., in which backhands, strikes with the fist at vital points, aiki, etc. are still learned. If these techniques are practiced, studied, and adopted in Judo, the present Judo will become a “hard-soft” (goju) aiki capable of killing with a single blow.
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ight=butokukai
    In January of 1942, Morihei Ueshiba appointed Minoru Hirai as the Director of General Affairs for the Kobukan dojo. In October of 1942, Hirai Sensei was sent as a representative to the Dai Nihon Butokukai (The Greater Japan Virtues Society) where he played a major role in establishing the name of Ueshiba’s art, changing it from aikibudo to aikido.

In 1945, Minoru Hirai was awarded the rank of Hanshi (master) from the Dai Nihon Butokukai....

Note: After rejecting the proposed name of aikibudo, the Dai Nihon Butokukai established a new section to include yawara and generically labeled this new category as “aikido.” The name aikido, although a category established within the Dai Nihon Butokukai referring to all jujutsu based systems, was used by Ueshiba to refer to his modern art.

sujet d'information

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet

il y a actuellement 2 utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet. (0 membres et 2 visiteurs)